The Blue Zone of Happiness by Dan Buettner
Run into a Problem?
Thanks for telling usa about the problem.
Friend Reviews
Reader Q&A
Community Reviews
There are several wonderful lists in this book, including the Blue Zones Happiness Test, the 15 "cowbell" factors that indicate true happiness, and the Community Blueprint for Happiness, that are alone worth the cost of the book.
Dan Buettner shares inquiry on the happiest places on globe and uses that research to aid all of us make our workplaces, our homes, and our communities happier places to live.There are several wonderful lists in this book, including the Blue Zones Happiness Examination, the xv "cowbell" factors that signal true happiness, and the Community Pattern for Happiness, that are solitary worth the price of the book.
...more
Blue Zones are places where people live longer, happier, healthier lives. These places make it easier for individuals to thrive by incorporating design elements and programs that encourage building friendship networks, eating well, walking, and cycling. For example, communities that limit sprawl and preserve open up spaces with walking and biking paths encourage a more active lifestyle. Broad sidewalks encourage people to walk and talk together. Some communities revenue enhancement sweetened beverages to limit obes
Blue Zones are places where people live longer, happier, healthier lives. These places brand it easier for individuals to thrive by incorporating design elements and programs that encourage building friendship networks, eating well, walking, and cycling. For case, communities that limit sprawl and preserve open up spaces with walking and biking paths encourage a more active lifestyle. Wide sidewalks encourage people to walk and talk together. Some communities tax sweetened beverages to limit obesity.
The existing economy is organized to maximize GDP growth. This volume asks the question of whether government ought not instead to prioritize happiness as the greatest object of society. Thomas Jefferson's Declaration of Independence clearly included the pursuit of happiness equally a major responsibility of regime. Later he said, "The happiness and prosperity of our citizens...is the only legitimate object of government." And then what would the pursuit of happiness await like on a local level? Certainly it would include an excellent education system that prepared the immature for fulfilling, salubrious lives. Information technology would provide complimentary healthcare, considering, without health, happiness is difficult. Buettner suggests a national measure of well-being should be bachelor to politicians and the public, every bit a measure out of regime t success.
If you lot are looking for a book that provides research-based guidance on how to transform your community into a Blueish Zone, this is not that book. I wish it were. Rather, Buettner provides a panoply of examples and waxes enthusiastic well-nigh many bromides that are already role of the community development canon.
In a few places, he misses the mark entirely like when he suggests that anybody going to church would create better communities, and that the police should require parent so young children to consider staying together and to co-parent (with abusive spouses? With alcohol and drug-addicted partners? Are you sure, Mr. Buettner?).
I did manage to cease this book but wish it had been a ameliorate one. I'one thousand still on the lookout for a book that would assist guide my own community to get healthier and happier. Let me know if yous've establish one.
...more
Example: a thought exercise: imagine you have ten million dollars. Proper noun 5 things you would do. At present make a iii year programme to achieve at least one of those goals. ??? My goals were to retire early on, put my 2 kids through college, travel a lot, and exercise some abode remodelling. Since those all require lots of money, how am I supposed to achieve them in three years with imaginary coin. False statement: you should be around lots of people and have the goal of socializing for at to the lowest degree six hours a da
UnrealisticExample: a thought practise: imagine you lot have ten one thousand thousand dollars. Name five things y'all would exercise. Now make a 3 yr program to achieve at to the lowest degree ane of those goals. ??? My goals were to retire early on, put my 2 kids through higher, travel a lot, and do some home remodelling. Since those all require lots of money, how am I supposed to attain them in 3 years with imaginary money. False statement: you lot should be around lots of people and have the goal of socializing for at least vi hours a day. Even introverts [like me] are happier when they spend lots of time socializing. Also, he says that you should be in a committed relationship with a compatible mate, because loners are unhappy. ??? He assumes a one-size-fits-all prescription for happiness that doesn't have individual differences into account, and makes sweeping generalizations based on septic examples. Also I don't think he understands the difference between correlation and causation. It was an entertaining read, merely I annoyed my husband with my constant exclamations of incredulity and reading outrageous passages aloud to him. Possibly this book could be helpful to some people but in my opinion it is likely to do more harm than proficient.
...more than
The author provides to practice lists to be happy: become married, spend time with family and close friends, get involved with religion or a club, learn to be likeable, do, focus on other'southward happiness,
Alright Singapore was featured so of course I have to read it. Singaporeans are happy because nosotros work hard and are proud of our achievements. Danish people are happy because they don't need to worry about basic necessities of life. Costa-Ricans are happy because they take life easy and talk to people.The author provides to do lists to be happy: get married, spend fourth dimension with family and close friends, get involved with religion or a society, learn to be likeable, exercise, focus on other'due south happiness, savour life and find a purpose.
Unfortunately I didn't observe the book very engaging - it reads similar a manual. All the same a practiced summary on happiness.
...more
I also disagree with his take on Singapore. I alive in Singapore and people piece of work also difficult, are stressed out and have no universal health intendance. Older individuals are f
I recollect that he raises some good points most changes that we can make in our lives that could make the states happier. I also think that many of the suggestions are untenable for people who work full time, if you socialize for 6 hours and sleep for seven.5 hours, when are yous supposed to work, exercise, meditate and spend fourth dimension with your family.I also disagree with his accept on Singapore. I live in Singapore and people piece of work likewise hard, are stressed out and take no universal wellness care. Older individuals are forced into menial labour then that that they tin can survive.
...more than
The book itself is a rather fast read and it covers all major areas. The writer talks about happiness in unlike parts of the earth, things that could affect your happiness, places that happiness could happen (your job, your customs, your fiscal well-being, personal life, etc) and of course- what IS happiness? We say we want to exist happy, only what does that really mean? Of grade, it'south subjective- what makes me happy won't necessarily make you happy or charge per unit loftier in your life and vice versa. This volume sets out to help you figure out what areas y'all need to make changes, how to prioritize the things that make you happy, and what to exercise if you're stuck. Sometimes it might mean being brave and quitting that job you lot hate and do something that (perchance) isn't every bit financially rewarding, but it could open upwards new doors to happiness for you.
Perhaps the nearly interesting part of the book was discussion on building happiness inside communities. Of class, information technology could mean the city you live in or communities could be smaller circles of people that you operate in (clubs, groups, school, etc) and what you can practise to foster happiness inside the community. I found it interesting because the city I live in has gained a reputation of existence the lamer of the Twin Ports cities, we accept a lot of bars and dingy areas, we need more jobs and essentially an unabridged revitalization of the city. We're making progress but when you go to city meetings or even expect at the community social media pages you find two groups of people: the we've-e'er-washed-information technology-this-way grouping who offering no positive solutions but love to give criticisms, and the dreamers, the people who have a positive outlook and are excited at the strides we're making. I notice that when you have those people, and you hear their enthusiasm, information technology's catchy. All of a sudden I'grand doing what I tin to bring together the revolution, so to speak. So that's my really long way of saying I remember this would exist a really expert book for immature adults. Seniors in loftier schoolhouse, higher students, those only starting out in the workplace every bit a grown upwardly- we (as communities and a nation) need more than dreamers, more happy, positive people with the goal of making everything ameliorate.
If I had to find a critique, and you lot know I effort to always residuum a review, I didn't become a lot of data about mental disease. I'm depressed, how exercise I get happy? How do I turn the transport around? It's most geared towards full general happiness versus specific solutions to specific issues, if that makes sense.
Overall? A solid 4/5 stars. I actually flew through this and I could see this beingness adjusted for a public speaking appointment or morale boosting sessions.
...more
My lower rating of this volume could simply reverberate me currently existence a Because I felt I got what I needed from other (multiple) Blue Zone materials, including 'Thrive', I did a rapid read of this book. Of particular interest in this edition is the 'Blue Zones Happiness Test,' which gives the reader overall scores for Pleasure, Purpose and Pride. My results surprised me and gave me pause. If y'all practice not have a copy of this volume, y'all can take a similar test (by the Blue Zone group) for free online.
My lower rating of this book could simply reflect me currently existence a bit Blue Zoned out. Every bit another reader pointed out, information technology'south become quite the franchise! ...more
This has a lot of good info and tips for increasing iii types of happiness: pleasure, purpose, and pride. However, much of the book builds up to the conclusion that you should just live in a better place to be happier. Someone who is unwilling or unable to uproot their life to seek out a better location will notice a good chunk
It was refreshing to read a profile of Boulder, CO. The author mentions dreadlocked, puffy-wearing guys hanging out on Pearl Street, which could take very well been me!This has a lot of good info and tips for increasing iii types of happiness: pleasure, purpose, and pride. However, much of the volume builds up to the determination that you should simply live in a meliorate place to be happier. Someone who is unwilling or unable to uproot their life to seek out a better location will detect a practiced clamper of this book useless. That said, it's hard to argue with that conclusion. Later on having lived in 2 vastly different places--Boulder, which does a great job of cultivating happiness, and South Korea, a place that does the reverse in and so many ways--I wholeheartedly agree that location is hugely important in a person's mental health.
The 2d half of the book provides more than insight into behaviors nosotros can change to increase happiness. My biggest gripe was the repeated calls to join religion-based communities. Once again and again, the author advocates that even if yous're not religious, you should try to find a religion-based community, and that communities that aren't organized religion-based don't work besides. It seems plausible that believing in God makes people happier, but regardless of whether or not that's truthful, is a minor heave to happiness worth the delusional belief? Is believing a lie and organizing a good portion of your life around it worth the actress happiness?
This is a book I'll probably read once again every bit a reminder for how to meliorate live my life with pleasure, purpose, and pride.
...more
Bluish Zones - 5 geographic areas where people statistically live longest:
- Okinawa, Nihon
- Sardinia, Italian republic
- Nicoya, Costa rica
- Icaria, Greece
- Loma Linda, California (Seventh-day Adventists)
This book offered a expect at how those living in
I first read about the Blue Zones, areas in the globe where people have the longest lifespans, in National Geographic a decade or and then ago. Since so I've been intrigued with learning more about how these cultures and communities support longevity and well-beingness.Blue Zones - 5 geographic areas where people statistically live longest:
- Okinawa, Japan
- Sardinia, Italy
- Nicoya, Costa Rica
- Icaria, Greece
- Loma Linda, California (Seventh-day Adventists)
This book offered a look at how those living in Blue Zones bundled social institutions, community, and their daily lives to support happiness. Dan Buettner, the author, notes that at that place are iii distinct, yet interrelated, strands of happiness that compliment i some other and create happiness: pleasure, purpose, and pride.
There were practical tips that anyone could apply:
- Socialize at to the lowest degree 6 hours a day (work with people you like)
- Bike / walk to work (commuting makes us so, and so unhappy)
- Sit on your front porch (engage in the community)
At that place are individual choices one can brand (exercising, eating fruits and vegetables), yet a large portion of what impacts individual happiness is based on social institutions, regime and the environment. The way nations, neighborhoods, and family households organize directly influence individual well-beingness. Individual happiness is intimately related to the governmental and cultural values.
...more
Question: Did your research change or confirm the manner you perceived happiness? How?
Buettner: Aye. I lost my religion in motivational courses and the like. Achieving happiness is best accessible through setting up your life and environment so yous're nudged into positive behaviors and abroad from negative ones.
Yet when I checked out his website, he is advert a 2-part online course chosen Staying
Before picking this book up at the library, I read an interview the writer gave to the Huffington Post.Question: Did your research modify or confirm the way you lot perceived happiness? How?
Buettner: Aye. I lost my organized religion in motivational courses and the similar. Achieving happiness is best attainable through setting upwardly your life and surroundings so yous're nudged into positive behaviors and away from negative ones.
Withal when I checked out his website, he is advert a two-function online course chosen Staying Live: 9 Habits for Living a Longer, Healthier Life. What gives?
For this reason the author started out on sparse ice with me. He and his research team singled out Costa rica, Denmark and Singapore as having the happiest people. Their metrics must be off because he writes that what the Singaporeans value most past their own admission are the five C's: car, condo, cash, credit carte du jour and lodge membership. To attain these material possessions and keep upwardly with their neighbors, they work long hours. Work and shop – that's what they do. And these people are trotted out as happy people we should emulate? Like I said, poor metrics.
Happiness – defining information technology and attaining it – are hot topics in society today. And then many pretend to be happiness gurus and offer to enlighten the rest of united states if we volition but open up our pocketbooks to them. I would advise passing on this book. He repeats himself often, giving me the impression he didn't accept quite enough cloth to make a book
...more
Dan Buettner does an awesome task explaining how happiness isn't just something individuals create for themselves. Happiness also derives
Ever finished a book feeling super inspired? Considering YUP THAT'S ME! Disclaimer... I work for Blue Zones Projection and take met Dan Buettner a few times so I may be a fiddling biased. I also will say that I have a hard time separating my previous cognition of Blue Zones from the contents of the volume and so my thoughts and feelings truly are towards Blue Zones as a whole.Dan Buettner does an awesome job explaining how happiness isn't merely something individuals create for themselves. Happiness also derives from optimizing your environment, ensuring policies putting well-beingness starting time are in place, and shifting into a positive and purposeful mentality. Before you lot know it, you lot'll be nudged into living a happier, healthier life.
My favorite office of this book are the stories nerveless from around the world. All individuals that speak with Buettner come from very dissimilar communities/backgrounds and have unique life experiences; however, all seem to weave together the three strands Buettner focuses on: pleasure, purpose, and pride.
I strongly believe in the Blueish Zones mission and I am so grateful for Dan Buettner, his research, and the current work done in our communities. Since joining the projection and reading Blueish Zones of Happiness, I can honestly say that I've become a much happier and healthier person.
...more
5 stars!
I enjoyed The Blue Zones of Happiness: Lessons from the World's Happiest People! This volume was definitely of involvement to me. The author, Dan Buettner, has been conducting scientific research on happiness for years. How nosotros can accomplish it is a main topic in this book.
The book starts off with a quiz that helps make up one's mind your c
I received this volume from the Goodreads Firstreads giveaway programme. Thanks author/publisher for the opportunity to read and review The Blue Zones of Happiness!5 stars!
I enjoyed The Blue Zones of Happiness: Lessons from the World'due south Happiest People! This book was definitely of interest to me. The author, Dan Buettner, has been conducting scientific research on happiness for years. How nosotros can achieve information technology is a master topic in this book.
The book starts off with a quiz that helps determine your current state of happiness. Pleasance..Purpose..Pride are the main quotients to this quiz.
The author then tells us about the Blueish Zones, locations where people are happiest, healthiest, and living the longest. Denmark, Singapore, Costa Rica are the three locations focused on. Several examples of how they all live their lives differently and still achieve maximum happiness.
The book goes on to aid us build our own personal Blue Zone. Our environment is the key to happiness. Things that can exist washed at our workplace, abode, and within our communities that will generate greater happiness in our lives are discussed.
The Blue Zones of Happiness was informative. I plan on keeping this in my personal library. While I live a life filled with pleasure..purpose and pride there is ever room to amend!
...more
What a tragedy if we experience that it is an exterior source that allows u.s.a. to observe true happiness and contentment in life.
I shudder to recall of a world where in that location would exist a "Ministry of Happiness", truly Orwellian.
The premise was interesting until the author suggests that the government should implement programs to enable people to find happiness.
What a tragedy if we feel that it is an outside source that allows us to find true happiness and contentment in life.
I shudder to think of a earth where in that location would exist a "Ministry of Happiness", truly Orwellian.
...more
Blue Zones of Happiness here we come. As mentioned in my other review of non-fiction this will be more a review of things that I want to remember rather than a typical this is why I liked this book…
For those that don't know the "Blue Zones" project originally started looking for places in the world were people lived the longest live, in order to detect the causes for that. Since and then the "Blue Zones" has been expanded to Thrive: Finding Happiness the Blue Z
Alright alright alright it's REVIEW time…Blue Zones of Happiness hither we come. As mentioned in my other review of non-fiction this volition exist more a review of things that I want to remember rather than a typical this is why I liked this book…
For those that don't know the "Blue Zones" project originally started looking for places in the globe were people lived the longest live, in lodge to find the causes for that. Since then the "Blue Zones" has been expanded to Thrive: Finding Happiness the Blueish Zones Way, The Blueish Zones Solution: Eating and Living like the World'southward Healthiest People and many more. It's quite the franchise.
The Blue Zones of Happiness as the title might advise is what the Blue Zones tin can teach us about living a happier life. The unique contribution of this book it to look at the consequence not just from an individual level only also a social and community level. This is done through the concept of life radius which starts with Communities, then workplaces, social networks, habitation, wellbeing and finally inner life. A useful concept when working with someone to place possible individual intervention strategies, as well equally informing societal social piece of work strategies.
And then what does information technology say? Well the volume can be summed in words 3:
PURPOSE
PLEASURE
PRIDE
Mix these 3 ingredient together in an individual and enable their pursuit in a society and vola! Happiness. The book summaries farther though into the Power of 9!
1. Dearest Someone – Commit to someone compatible with you lot, your interests, values and company you enjoy.
2. Inner Circle – Create a circle of a least 3 friends with whom you can accept meaningful chat, can call later a bad twenty-four hour period for assistance and are by and large happy (for every new happy friend that enters your social network, your own happiness increases by nearly xv per cent).
3. Engage - Exit of the business firm! Engage with a grouping of people around your interests
iv. Acquire Likeability – Acquire to exist likeable to others, requite 18-carat compliments, be a skillful friend, be happy yourself.
5. Move Naturally – become at least xxx min exercise per mean solar day
six. Await Forrad – Focus on meaningful things, set up goals, monitor progress. This will help you get more than of what you want out of life.
seven. Sleep Vii Plus – GET SOME SLEEP! Establish sleep routine (employ sleep hygiene)
8. Shape Surroundings – Look at shaping your dissimilar life radiuses to favour happy decisions. Eg. don't keep junk food in the refrigerator
nine. Correct Community – Live in a community which fosters wellbeing. Example: Immigrants moving from less happy countries to happier places such as Canada prefer the happiness levels of their new country within a yr!
The rest of the book was proficient merely to be honest lacked a lot of meat and seemed to be more interested in anecdotal evidence rather than existent science. While I'chiliad not a fan of simply page later page of statistics I felt similar this volume erred on the side of non having plenty weight behind some of it'southward statements (Hence the low rating) it did however provide some useful stories and a good frame piece of work when working with people.
...more
While I've heard or read nigh these same techniques before, the presentation here is what makes them work for me. Buettner argues that adding activities similar keeping a gratitude journal, meditating, or most of positive psychology strategies creates a scenario where people take to adjust their life to the strategy. He compares the reality of this modify happening to dieting and practice.
As someone who has tried numerous strat
Pleasantly surprised by this quick read filled with actionable communication.While I've heard or read well-nigh these same techniques before, the presentation here is what makes them work for me. Buettner argues that adding activities like keeping a gratitude journal, meditating, or most of positive psychology strategies creates a scenario where people have to accommodate their life to the strategy. He compares the reality of this modify happening to dieting and do.
As someone who has tried numerous strategies and struggled to work them into habits, I appreciate Buettner'due south approach to leading a happier life. I cannot tell you how many different times I've started a gratitude journal. I've tried incorporating that habit so many different means into routines and none of them have stuck.
Buettner prefers to evaluate the environment and find means where the environs nudge people into making skillful choices for their happiness.
I highlighted many passages in this book that I will list in my 2021 planner then that I can cull different strategies to reverberate on as I suit my surroundings. With an upcoming move in the next vi months, this book presented some keen material for me to reflect upon equally my husband and I choose how we desire to organize our new domicile, and build relationships in our new community.
Additionally, I really enjoyed reading about various cultures and their approach to happiness. While I already knew some of these details, I certainly learned more.
I've already put several of his other books on hold with my local library. While I'm certain there will be repetition, the hold times are all over the identify, so reading one of his books every few months is only good reinforcement.
...more than
I enjoyed gauging my happiness and learning more than about why happy people are the way they are. But this volume skirts around the class warfare and marginalization that occurs in the The states. I about laughed aloud at the idea of a government that provides for its citizens instead of upholding global imperialism. I wish we could accept health intendance that wasn't for profit, merely people here would fucking riot. Don't get me incorrect, its good to aim as close to an ideal every bit y'all can. However, the volume came off as out of bear on when it encouraged Americans to eat healthier and go on a run everyday. Not everyone has the time or ability to practice those things, and there's a lot of neglected black and native communities who would scoff at the recommendations in this book. I'm extremely privileged and know that modify would help the communities achieve this platonic. However, the volume doesn't acknowledge that our government doesn't give a shit nigh united states.
...more
What I really appreciate about Buettner's work is his thoroughness. He goes into the field with a bunch of scientists, gathers the information, crunches the numbers, and presents us with the best practices. He'southward besides clear-eyed on the benefits of positive psychology: "They may piece of work in the brusk run, just they well-nigh always fail over time. They're quick fixes that may evaporate before you know it." To exist happy in the long run, construction a happy life.
...moreNews & Interviews
Welcome back. Simply a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account.
Source: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34736004-the-blue-zones-of-happiness
0 Response to "The Blue Zone of Happiness by Dan Buettner"
Post a Comment